More than a decade before Bishopville was named in honor of Jacques Bishop, it was known as Singleton's Crossroads. The 465 acres of land that made up Singleton's Crossroads was granted to Jacob Chamber by the State of South Carolina in 1786. The property was later purchased by Daniel Carter and it was once again sold to William Singleton in 1790. This is where the name Singleton's Crossroads originated.
A well known tavern owned by Singleton and his wife sat at the intersection of what was once known as Mecklenburg Road (now named Church Street) and McCallum Ferry Road (now known as Main Street). During that time, the tavern was a stopping place for the stagecoach between Georgetown and Charlotte. (Now this intersection involves Highway 15, which at one point was the premier north–south route from New York to Miami.) In 1798, William Singleton died, leaving his wife the owner of the tavern until her death in 1820. One year later the land was sold to Bishop. During this time period the area around present-day Bishopville was said to be composed of mostly wilderness, with only a few scattered, primitive houses.
Bishopville is home to the county seat for Lee County. Historically, Bishopville, and rural Lee County as a whole, has been a leader in cotton production in the state of South Carolina and is the home of the South Carolina Cotton Museum. Bishopville is one of those special places, where you can find space to be all alone in vast expanses of countryside, yet just 20 minutes to all the amenities of the largest cities. Find your quiet country life here.
324 Western Drive,Bishopville, SCActive
Courtesy of The Camden Group LLCCourtesy of The Camden Group LLC
- 4 bd,
- 3 full, 1 half ba
640 W Stokes Bridge Road,Bishopville, SCActive
Courtesy of McLeod & AssociatesCourtesy of McLeod & Associates
- 3 bd,
- 1 full ba
5127 Sumter Hwy,Sumter, SCActive
Courtesy of ERA Wilder RealtyCourtesy of ERA Wilder Realty
- 3 bd,
- 2 full ba